Cruelty Response

Lucy Mackenzie Humane Society is part of the Vermont Humane Federation’s Cruelty Response System. As such, we answer cruelty response concerns in Windsor County.

Reporting Animal Cruelty
Response to complaints of animal cruelty and neglect is coordinated by county throughout the state of Vermont. If you are concerned about an animal, you may either submit your complaint online through the link below, or, if the complaint originates in Windsor County, call us at 802-484-5829.

Report any cruelty (anywhere in the state of Vermont) through the Animal Tracks CRS

What is the Vermont Humane Federation’s Cruelty Response System?
“A Cruelty Response System (CRS) is a collaboration between animal shelters, police, state‚ attorneys, animal control officers, constables, humane investigators, the Vermont Agency of Agriculture, the Vermont Animal Cruelty Task Force, local veterinarians, and animal rescue organizations. The CRS protects the animals and benefits all parties by distributing humane enforcement responsibilities across several resources so that no single agency or individual is overburdened allowing each to draw upon their own area of expertise. The CRS also emphasizes accountability and follow up ensuring all complaints are appropriately resolved through the use of a secure, web-based, case management and reporting system called Animal Tracks.” – Vermont Humane Federation

How does the Cruelty Response System Work?
In each country of Vermont, the public is directed to call one phone number to report a case of animal cruelty or neglect. In most cases, this contact is a humane society of animal welfare organization. This organization will then coordinate response to the complaints and facilitate the investigation and follow up.

What happens when I report a case of cruelty or neglect?
When a complaint is called in, information will be collected about the animal involved, including what was observed and the details of the location. After the humane investigator is contacted, he or she will then visit the owner of the animals who was involved in the situation. “In most cases, the humane investigator first tries to rectify the situation by educating the pet owner about how to provide better care for the animal(s). If the situation does not improve, the police will become involved and a search warrant may be obtained. In some cases, animals may be seized as part of the investigation.” -Vermont Humane Federation


Change this in Theme Options
Change this in Theme Options